..:: Introduction ::..
Anyone who has ever had the idea of building or purchasing a custom computer has at least glanced over the offerings of motherboards from Asus. Why? Asus is well known in the enthusiast community for maintaining a record of high quality motherboards with exceptional performance. They devote their time and efforts to each motherboard they release, whether the product is aimed at the high-end, low-end or anywhere in-between.
To uphold their tradition as a top-tier motherboard manufacturer, Asus has recently released a chain of motherboards called the "X-Series" aimed at consumers with a low budget. According to Asus in a quote taken from the June/July 2003 issue of Asus World magazine, "performance doesn't necessarily have to come with a steep price these days. The Asus X-Series motherboards incorporates industry-leading specifications to ensure your system is efficient and reliable, while saving your bank account."
Can Asus hold true to their statement? Let's find out in our review of the 68 dollar "X-Series" A7V8X-X motherboard which is based on the VIA KT400 chipset and designed for AMD processors.
..:: Asus A7V8X-X Specifications ::..
- Socket A for AMD Athlon XP/Athlon/Duron up to 2.25GHz+
- Thoroughbred/Barton Core Support
- 333/266/200MHz FSB
- VIA KT400 Northbridge
- VIA VT8235 Southbridge
- Realtek 10/100 Mbps Ethernet PHY
- ADI 1980 6-channel Audio CODEC
- 6 x USB 2.0 port (VT8235 built-in)
- 3 x DDR DIMM Sockets
- Max. 3GB unbuffered PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC
- (PC3200 Max. to 2 banks only)
- 1 x AGP 8X
- 6 x PCI
- 2 x UDMA/133/100/66
- 1 x FDD
- Power Loss Restart
- SFS (Stepless Frequency Selection)
- ASUS C.O.P. (CPU Overheating Protection)
- WOR, WOL, Front panel audio connector
Back Panel I/O Ports
- 1 x Parallel, 1 x Serial
- 1 x PS/2 Keyboard, 1 x PS/2 Mouse
- 1 x Audio I/O, 1 x S/PDIF Out
- 4 x USB 2.0, 1 x RJ-45 Port
- 2Mb Flash ROM, Award BIOS
- TCAV, PnP, DMI 2.0, WfM 2.0, SM BIOS 2.3
- ASUS JumperFree, ASUS EZ Flash, ASUS MyLogo
- CrashFree BIOS, ASUS C.P.R. (CPU Parameter Recall)
- ATX Form Factor 12 x 9.6 (30.5cm x 24.5cm)